Bibb County Medical Society
was incorporated in 1963. However, the organization has been in existence
for more than 150 years, and physicians have played an important role
in the settlement and development of the Central Georgia area.
The County of Bibb was created
in 1822 and was named for Dr. William Wyatt Bibb, a well-respected physician.
Dr. Ambrose Baber, a young physician in the area, was involved in helping
site the City of Macon. His suggestion was to place it on hills overlooking
the banks of the Ocmulgee River and away from the swamps, based on sound
It is believed that in approximately
1835, the Macon Medical Society was organized. It was instrumental in
helping form the Medical Association of Georgia in 1849. At the end
of 1851, Macon had 15 practicing physicians and approximately 6,000
In 1905, Macon Medical Society
was reorganized and chartered under the name of the Macon Medical Society
of Bibb County. In 1939, the organization was renamed Bibb County Medical
BCMS members have provided
leadership in many areas, from health to education to culture. Area
physicians have undertaken such challenges as sponsoring mass immunizations
against polio in 1964 to lecturing on HIV and AIDS to participating
in events aimed at conquering cancer.
Thus, the history of Macon
and Bibb County is inextricably linked with the physicians who have
lived and practiced in Bibb County.